For perfect Thai fragrant rice:
1. Allow 1 to 1-1/4 cups of raw rice for two people.
2. Use a heavy, suitably sized heavy pot with a tight lid.
3. Rinse/wash rice until the water runs almost clear.
4. Add water to the rice in pot to a depth of just under one finger joint above the rice (or if you prefer to measure, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups of water for the first cup of rice and 1 cup of water for each additional cup of rice).
5. Bring to a vigorous boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until there is no water visible above the rice.
6. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes. (At this point, the top layer of rice should be moist and grains should have lost their sheen – if not, add a tablespoon or two of water and cook for another minute or so.)
7. Turn heat off and allow rice to rest on the burner, covered, for an additional 5 minutes, or for up to 30 minutes until ready to serve.
Fluff gently with a fork and serve in a heated bowl.