No. 1 Select Extra Fancy / Riz Japonais / California
For perfect Japanese rice:
1. Allow 1 to 1-1/4 cups of rice for two people.
2. Use a heavy, suitably sized heavy pot with a tight lid.
3. Rinse/wash rice until the water runs almost clear.
4. Add water to the rice in pot to a depth of one finger joint above the rice (or if you prefer to measure, 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 cups of water for the first cup of rice and 1 cup of water for each additional cup of rice).
5. Bring to a vigorous boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until there is no water visible above the rice.
6. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
7. Turn heat off and allow rice to rest, covered, for an additional 5 minutes, or for up to 30 minutes until ready to serve.
Rice for Sushi:
Quickly cool rice to room temperature by spreading it out and fanning it while gently mixing in sushi su, a seasoned vinegar that adds flavour and gives the rice a nice gloss and enough stickiness to hold together. Have an assistant fan like crazy while you drizzle on dressing and mix with a wooden rice paddle using a horizontal slashing motion.